My original attempts at making granola date back 2.5 years. Since then, I have improved and simplified my recipe subtly, so I thought I’d share the new version. The most obvious change is the removal of the egg whites, which make no discernable difference.
Preheat oven 275 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Add the following dry ingredients to a large bowl and mix well.
- 3 cups rolled oats (avoid ‘quick oats’)
- 3/4 cup hazelnuts, coarsely chopped
- 3/4 cup pecans, coarsely chopped
- one cup shaved coconut, coarsely chopped or as-is
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar or coconut sugar
- 3/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp salt
Then, add the following wet ingredients to the bowl and mix well.
- 1/4 cup agave syrup
- 1/4 cup coconut oil (30 seconds in microwave to luiqefy if needed)
Dump the mix onto lined baking sheet. Use a spatula to form a dense, 1/2 inch thick layer.
Bake in center of oven for an hour. It should be slightly browned by then.
Let cool completely before breaking into chunks.
Keep in an airtight container.